Re: [guadec-list] Documentation Room at GUADEC

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 13:21 +0100, Koen Martens wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:08:20AM -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > I'd like to propose having a documentation room at GUADEC.
> > Basically, I want to have a room for a few hours where the
> > Gnome documentation team will be, and anybody can come in
> > to get one-on-one hands-on help with doing documentation.
> >
> > I'm looking at the schedule outline here:
> >
> > http://wordpress.metro.cx/2010/03/11/guadec-2010-schedule-and-cfp-deadline/
> >
> > I don't know how the main conference program is going to
> > shake out, but I fear that nobody will come if it's in the
> > middle of cool talks.  And really, it's important for the
> > documentation team to attend those talks, because it's how
> > we learn what's going on, and what we need to write.
> >
> > Would it be possible to do something on Monday?  It's late
> > enough that a lot of people should already be there, but
> > still before the main event.
>
> That'd be possible, yes. We have several options available, both
> at the venue itself and outside. The latter is mostly useful if
> you plan to do things in the evening.
>
> How big would the group be you estimate? Would you need presentation
> equipment? Any other requirements??

Hi Koen,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Sorry I took so long to respond.
I was off at a couple of conferences.

I think we'd like something in the daytime, when people are there
and ready to write.  What I'd envisioned is having all the core
documentation people there, and inviting people to come by to get
one-on-one help with writing.  I've found it's much easier to show
people who to plan and write good help in person.

A projector would be nice, but it's not necessary.  We would spend
most of our time in small groups brainstorming and planning.  My
core group would be maybe six people.  How many people would join
us is anybody's guess.  Probably no more than 20 at a time.

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/