Re: [guadec-list] List of things we'd love to see done

Hi,

In line as I have been mentioned :)

El dj 12 de 06 de 2008 a les 14:43 -0500, en/na Diego Escalante Urrelo
va escriure:
> [...]
>
> I think the ideal -if done- would be to have two or three guys hanging
> around on the "crowded" hours of arrival, greet the newcomer and give
> some indications like which bus to take. No need for taking people
> from airport to hotel, but just receiving directions from a GNOME guy
> is much better than asking a random guy, I think.
>

> > A shuttle bus between the common hotels area and the airport.
> >

> Again, maybe for the crowded hours? We need to make a call for filling
> arrival hours in the wiki if this would be possible.
>
> > A team for everything about the transportation in Istanbul. This is roughly
> > a "I'm lost! Help!" or "How do I go to Topkapi Palace" hotline.
>
> It's useful to have a GUADEC 911 line, maybe forwarded to more than
> one cellphone or something, if someone can take the responsibility,
> please tell us which number to relay on. I would still be trapped in
> Birmingham's airport if there wasn't a 911 line last year.
>
> > Event organization team for people willing to explore the city. This team
> > would collect the FAQ that will answer to "which museum should we visit?" or
> > "where should we have dinner?" sort of questions and organize tours.
> >

> Maybe a wiki page would be enough, or just hanging around with all the gnomies.
>
> > We'd like to see a dedicated accomodation organization team, there's no
> > other way this problem could be tackled. There are lots of good hotels and
> > hostels around; but availabilty, quality and price is always a concern. Yet,
> > most of these hostels don't have websites with enough pictures so you don't
> > get an idea of the room you have booked until you actually arrive. We'd love
> > to see this solved by a few people actually visiting hotels, getting price
> > quotes for groups, taking photos and writing reviews.
> >

> Define a responsible for this task, and write something similar to
>   http://guadec.expectnation.com/public/content/accommodation
>
> Price, what it misses, what it has and rocks, etc. Grab a phone dir,
> and call these options, take notes on prices and discounts and if you
> have the time go visit the hotels. Most of them are usually honest
> about what they have and what they don't, in the worst case there are
> always options so we can dump the liers ipso-facto.
>
> > We'd like to see an appointed visa issues guy. Getting a visa shouldn't be a
> > problem at all, but just in case. People from certain countries may need
> > special help.
> >

> There's already a contact for visa letters, luckily only few of us
> have needed one. If YOU are needing a Visa, please mail Baris. Check
> the requisites for your country.
>
> > Local IT support team. We think this is a must. There will be network,
> > electricity, wiring, IP, firewall, whatever problems and we don't really
> > want people blogging about how bad that broken thing affects their lives.
> >

> Is Gil going to be helping in infra again? Gil?. I guess most of the
> work will be done in coordinating with univ's IT staff on getting

Don't know, I offered myself to Baris, but since it's an university I
don't know if everything is already ready (great pun eh eh).

Baris? Do you need me? :)