Re: [guadec-list] events/guides/etc. for non-participants? (basically, my girlfriend :)

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 16:48 +0100, Gil Forcada wrote:
> El dl 25 de 02 del 2008 a les 14:58 +0100, en/na Dave Neary va escriure:
> > Hi Baris,
> >
> > Baris Cicek wrote:
> > > I wish I could make a rough guess of partners. Then it would be easy to
> > > arrange something with a tourism agency exclusive to partners.
> > >
> > > However I'll try to arrange something and put that on the web site.
> > > Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > I would suggest taking the approach "as little organisation as is
> > necessary" - perhaps going through a tourist agency would be over-kill,
> > since I suspect that we're talking about somewhere between 5 and 20
> > people (going on GUADEC Barcelona as the model).
Then one volunteer or professional guide can be hired. We can cover
expenses for a professional guide for 15-20 people it's not expensive.

> > It might be sufficient to have a wiki page for "GUADEC Widows" where
> > people can sign up, meet up & swap war stories - which gets publicised
> > among those signing up. Hubbies (and perhaps the occasional wife) can
> > then tell their partner that they're not alone in coming along, point
> > their significant other to the wiki page.
Nice idea. Anyone volunteer for creating this wiki page and post
her/announce it?

> > Perhaps the number will be small enough that one local volunteer would
> > be enough to show people around, plan a boat trip on the Bosphorus and a
> > shopping trip to a bazaar and a tour of Topkapi and Yerebatan Sarayi
> > (placenames gleaned from a tourist site ;) )

> > If there is a need, then we can start considering spending money on a
> > tour guide.
> >
> > Perhaps one of these trips could be made an "official" GUADEC tour open
> > to all? I wouldn't mind going to a grand bazaar and seeing the caverns
> > of Yerebatan.

I'll sort it out for Partners and put official offer on guadec.org,
please put your ideas on wiki page about to be created. I think a spouse
deserves a great time for his/her endurance to geeky partner. :) For all
GUADEC participants I have another sightseeing plan on 13rd of July,
which I will be announce on guadec.org as well. I hope it won't be late
before people have their tickets booked.