Re: [guadec-list] events/guides/etc. for non-participants? (basically, my girlfriend :)

Hi Baris,

Baris Cicek wrote:
> I wish I could make a rough guess of partners. Then it would be easy to
> arrange something with a tourism agency exclusive to partners.
>
> However I'll try to arrange something and put that on the web site.
> Thanks for the suggestion.

I would suggest taking the approach "as little organisation as is
necessary" - perhaps going through a tourist agency would be over-kill,
since I suspect that we're talking about somewhere between 5 and 20
people (going on GUADEC Barcelona as the model).

It might be sufficient to have a wiki page for "GUADEC Widows" where
people can sign up, meet up & swap war stories - which gets publicised
among those signing up. Hubbies (and perhaps the occasional wife) can
then tell their partner that they're not alone in coming along, point
their significant other to the wiki page.

Perhaps the number will be small enough that one local volunteer would
be enough to show people around, plan a boat trip on the Bosphorus and a
shopping trip to a bazaar and a tour of Topkapi and Yerebatan Sarayi
(placenames gleaned from a tourist site ;) )

If there is a need, then we can start considering spending money on a
tour guide.

Perhaps one of these trips could be made an "official" GUADEC tour open
to all? I wouldn't mind going to a grand bazaar and seeing the caverns
of Yerebatan.

Cheers,
Dave.