Re: [guadec-list] Andrew Krause Sponsoring GUADEC - 3 Books up for grabs

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 14:21 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> Martyn Russell wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been in contact with Andrew Krause (author of the newly published
>>> GTK+ book [1]) lately regarding the GTK+ website I am redesigning. He
>>> has kindly donated 3 books to me for the work I have been doing there
>>> and I am making these books available as some sort of prize at GUADEC.
>>>
>>> My original thought was that we could use this as a prize for the
>>> football tournament, but with teams of 5 people, 3 books isn't enough of
>>> course. So instead, does anyone have any idea how we could distribute
>>> these books?
>>>
>>> We could have 3 different competitions perhaps?
>>>
>>> 1. Best photo at GUADEC (given to the photographer)?
>>> 2. Best presentation?
>>> 3. Best organiser?
>>>
>>> I don't know, I am open to suggestion here. What say you?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.gtkbook.com/
>>>

>> Best community contributor or something like that perhaps?
>
> We have a bunch of Google SoC students coming. Maybe best demo from an
> SoC student, best newcomer, or best hack at the conference.

Hi Bastien,

Yes, actually Kris or Tim I think suggested giving a book away to the
first person that signs up to the gtk+ tasks page after their gtk+ talk.

I like your ideas, let's go with those. Unless anyone can come up with
something better?

For the best newcomer, I wonder if the best thing to do is to ask the
developers at the gtk+ meeting which newcomer has been the most
substantial and as such should get the book.

For the best hack idea, it would have to be announced some how and how
do we know about potential hacks? I guess if it is announced, people can
submit their hacks to the judges.

For best SoC demo, I really have no idea how to judge this. Do we have a
list somewhere of demos taking place and SoC students?

Do we have some sort of opening keynote where we could announce these
competitions? Perhaps 09:30 Tuesday at the keynote from Jono Bacon?
Also, do we have some sort of final keynote we could give these books
out at? Perhaps some time Thursday?

I suggest Bastien, Ross and myself choose the winners. Any others
interested in judging?

--
Regards,
Martyn