Re: [guadec-list] Time for call for logos for next GUADEC inBirmingham

It was my fault for all the CSS files... I had one of the those
"import all my CSS" files moments... I can consolidate them into a few
files.

I will do the maintenance work.

John Hwang

On 9/7/06, Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:08:41 +0100 (BST), Paul Cooper <pgc openadvantage org> wrote:

> ----- Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
>> The last conclusion was that at a marketing level it was a disaster
>> re-brand every year GUADEC, thus the effort for having a stable logo.
>>
>> If you look at sport events and music festivals you will find many
>> ways
>> for creating unique marketing for people to associate with every
>> occasion... keeping the same logo and core brand identity.
>
> I agree with Quim. Although we should always feel free to think different
> and not simply ape them, if you look at the big conferences like OSCON and
> Linuxworld, apart from the dates and speakers the sites are virtually
> identical each year (from memory anyway, I didn't check wayback machine).
> I would prefer we spent time fixing things that need fixing (e.g. site
> navigation) or developing things relevant to Birmingham (travel info,
> directions, etc), rather than things that don't, like the logo.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure which list to bring this up on, but something really does need to be done about the speed of guadec.org. I just ran a quick test <http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://guadec.org/> and found that on the front page, there are 133 objects (i.e. the browser has to make 133 http requests). There are 31 css files, and 101 images alone! The total size is 411965 bytes - that's nearly half a megabyte we are forcing visitors to download! Even on a broadband connection, this is going to take nearly 10 seconds to complete loading. Clearly this is totally unacceptable, and needs urgent attention. I have no idea how or why this is happening, so could anyone who helped set up the website shed some light on this?

-Thomas