Re: [guadec-list] Time for call for logos for next GUADEC in Birmingham

----- Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
> The last conclusion was that at a marketing level it was a disaster
> re-brand every year GUADEC, thus the effort for having a stable logo.
>
> If you look at sport events and music festivals you will find many
> ways
> for creating unique marketing for people to associate with every
> occasion... keeping the same logo and core brand identity.

I agree with Quim. Although we should always feel free to think different and not simply ape them, if you look at the big conferences like OSCON and Linuxworld, apart from the dates and speakers the sites are virtually identical each year (from memory anyway, I didn't check wayback machine). I would prefer we spent time fixing things that need fixing (e.g. site navigation) or developing things relevant to Birmingham (travel info, directions, etc), rather than things that don't, like the logo.

However if we want to inspire contribution to 'marketing collatoral' (for want of a better phrase) how about a call for banner adverts, or print adverts / flyers (with the logo and guidelines and trademark agreement). Or for that matter t-shirt designs, presentation templates, audio adverts (to be 'inserted' in podcasts), or video adverts (for YouTube, Blip.tv, etc), that are 'Made in Gnome' (i.e. using Gnome related tools, e.g. Gimp, Inkscape, Abiword, OOo, Jokosher, TamTam, Pitivi, Diva, etc). This is an idea Thomas, Bastien, and I talked about, but we thought now isn't the time to do this.

> I'm for keeping the logo while working on a distinctive Birmingham
> 2007
> identity.

+1

Paul

--
Paul Cooper                    |  Tel: 0121 634 1620
Assistant Director             |  Fax: 0121 634 1630