Re: [guadec-list] Sponsor Brochure Darft

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 11:27 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:

> We need a sponsorship level at $5K, you think? I've found that people
> will prefer to go for a lower category if it's there - if you have a $5K
> category, you'll perhaps lose some sponsors who might have been ready to
> go to $10K, but opt for safety instead.

I guess if you get a couple of high end sponsors on board, then the
financials of organizing the conference are relatively safe. I guess I'm
just worried that if we scare away the local sponsors with high levels,
then we're less likely to get the local support that we need/desire.

> > For example, while Sun may feel its desireable to support a community
> > project that they're closely working with, the conference doesn't get
> > large numbers and probably audience that organizes the IT budget for
> > their department to be worthwhile for a large level of sponsorship.
>
> What's large? I was hoping that Sun would be prepared to sponsor us at
> least at the Gold level this year, perhaps even Platinum.

1000's? You probably have to approach Sun about it - it was really just
an example. During GUADEC in Dublin, we had an expo outside the main
lecture theatre where companies had to pay extra to show. I think most
of the sponsors felt it wasn't worthwhile because the flow of traffic at
the stands was so low.

> Sure - there is a balancing act. If you set the levels too high, you
> scare away potential sponsors, and if you set them too low, your
> return-on-investment of your time is pretty low. You have to expend
> approximately the same amount of effort to get $10K sponsorship as you
> do for $5K.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I suppose you have to figure out what
sponsorship is primarily there for - to fund the event, or to create new
opportunities for businesses/communication and ideas.

Glynn