Re: [guadec-list] Sponsor Brochure Darft

Hi,

Glynn Foster wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 10:49 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
With only 3 levels of sponsorship, and the ones you've suggested -

	o Cornerstone [30,000]
	o Platinum [15,000]
	o Gold [10,000]

I was thinking 30, 20, 10.

you stand to lose out on the potential for local sponsorship, and I
really think it's the local sponsors that benefit most from GUADEC.

We need a sponsorship level at $5K, you think? I've found that people will prefer to go for a lower category if it's there - if you have a $5K category, you'll perhaps lose some sponsors who might have been ready to go to $10K, but opt for safety instead.

For example, while Sun may feel its desireable to support a community
project that they're closely working with, the conference doesn't get
large numbers and probably audience that organizes the IT budget for
their department to be worthwhile for a large level of sponsorship.

What's large? I was hoping that Sun would be prepared to sponsor us at least at the Gold level this year, perhaps even Platinum.

That's an example of a possible scenario you may have to deal with as
you start approaching more sponsors, and I obviously can't speak for Sun
or state whether that is their position or not.

Sure - there is a balancing act. If you set the levels too high, you scare away potential sponsors, and if you set them too low, your return-on-investment of your time is pretty low. You have to expend approximately the same amount of effort to get $10K sponsorship as you do for $5K.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary