Re: [guadec-list] IMPORTANT: GUADEC change of dates and location

En/na DANIELLLANO terra es ha escrit:
> I'm
> sure this is going to be the best GUADEC even if it's not held in Barcelona.

Agreed!

> Two hours lost all the days is too much, so many people won't go to
> Barcelona every day (unless you book accommodation in Barcelona, of course).
> (I know lots of workers from Barcelona or Vilanova i la Geltrú do,
> but not me since it's beyond my time limit for commuting)

This is why I would recommend to any participant to the next GUADEC to
backpak directio to Vilanova, even if they are from Barcelona. It's a
known syndrome the fact that visitors enjoy much ore a conference than
the locals, because the locals tend to keep all their compromises having
to go earlier, missing some sessions...

Actually my recommendation to the Catalan pasrticipants would be to fake
a GUADEC7 where it says the conferenc is held in Borneo or Kiribati, so
they may well disappear for some well deserved days of 100% GUADEC.

I bet most visitors will go to Barcelona 1 evening or so during the
conference and will spend a whole day or more before/after.

We can organise a social/cultural trip to Barcelona, the BCN LUGs will
possibly mobilise themselves to attract GNOME hackers before/after the
conference... This is what happened for instance last year with the
Ubuntu Mataró Sessions. We can organise a 'excursió a Montserrat' and a
'ofrena a la Moreneta' -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_%28mountain%29 - like the FC
Barcelona does when wins a cup. :)  The possibilities are endless, it's
just a matter of imagination - combined with pragmatism.

> Sure the train is a great place to hack, but people won't take their
> laptops and it may be people full like sardine cans.

In fact you remind me that we need to put in big letters that people
better dont show off laptops and other geek machinery in public
transport and the outside in/near Barcelona city. Vilanova is safe.

> Start changing everything you see Barcelona in:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeEvents

Done.

> I think you should have posted a 'WARNING' email to this guadec mailing
> list to let people know that GUADEC BCN was in serious danger.
> The news about changing locations caught me by surprise. (Maybe it was
> discussed here or somewhere else but I didn't see it)
>
> If the danger were properly announced
> more people from Spain/Catalonia
> would have stepped in to help with any issue.
> I was thinking everything was just flowing correctly.

Well, you are right. But as I said, I couldn't just send an email saying
the GUADEC was in serious danger because that would have compromised the
GUADEC, the IGC, the GNOME Foundation...

We were dealing this delicate situation in guadec-planning and with the
board. I sent colateral emails to guadec-list "GUADEC7 needs you"
(19/nov) and "Building the local team" (21/nov). There was a little
response of some people showing up for the first time plus some known
(by me) names in the wiki pages.

I'm not sure of the response of these people if the first request was to
give an opinion and quick about such big issue. Previously, several
times I didn't get any response when exposing smaller issues and asking
for opinions. The people responding (Dave, Fernando...) were the ones
already active in guadec-planning.

I hope this reflects the mixture of factors that explains why the crisis
was dealt in such way. As you see, it was a bit complex. But well, I
insist you are mainly right.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org