Here's a quick status report:
What I want to do:
Compile and install the gtranslator source from git HEAD.
What I have done so far:
1) Started getting a definition about libpeas, gtk3, and gtranslator, and
obtained a clone of libpeas and gtranslator with git.
2) Got jhbuild, encountered some distro-specific issues which I could fix.
3) Bootstrapped jhbuild
4) Built jhbuild, but then realised that this was GNOME 2.x which didn't
compile with gtranslator.
5) Set `moduleset = "3.0"' in my ~/.jhbuildrc
6) Built again and I still have to get 240+ modules, which seems a
lot. So, I skipped that, and followed the instructions on a blog
article's comment. 
7) ATM jhbuild is building, which may take some time.
I wonder if you could give me some advice to setup my environment without
wasting too much time and to get things done.
Maybe a/your .jhbuildrc?
I've attached you my .jhbuildrc, which is not yet quite modded. ;-)
Awaiting your input,
Encouraging respectful discussion with OpenRespect (http://www.openrespect.org)
Description: Binary data