[Fwd: Re: Gtranslator: Present and Future]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi all,

O Sáb, 15-12-2007 ás 00:51 -0700, Seán de Búrca escribiu:
> [...]
> contributing.) Largely my focus has been making improvements to
> functionality that I feel is necessary to my own translation work and
> making gtranslator fit in with the GNOME desktop better. To this end,
> I've been cleaning up strings and trying to bring the interface together
> a little better. For the next little bit, I intend on continuing this
> sort of cleanup work. Following is a list of things I plan on doing and
> some notes, in no particular order:
>
>         * Put some sort of distinguishing string in the tabs so that
> translators can tell open files apart. Currently, I'm thinking that the
> contents of Project-Id-Version in the PO header is a good way to go.
> Filenames are too ambiguous. Every file I work on is going to be named
> ga.po so having five tabs that all say that won't be helpful.
> Project-Id-Version will give at least a semi-unique name to each open file.
>
>         * Change around the visual cue for translated/untranslated/fuzzy
> messages. The current text coloring is next to impossible to read and,
> for my part, I find that it isn't visually striking enough to quickly
> distinguish between an untranslated and a fuzzy message while scrolling
> through the message table. I've had a few thoughts on this but I'm
> unsure of the direction I'd like to go in. One thought was changing the
> background colors of individual rows. Themes could be respected by using
> symbolic colors, though I haven't quite figured out how to do this.
> Another problem is that I can't figure out how to change the background
> color of a full row. It's possible to do it with individual cells but
> this leaves unattractive gaps and doesn't respect the rules_hint.
> Another idea I've tossed around is some sort of icon for each status,
> but we'd have to figure out how to respect themes and how to make them
> visually striking enough. Then we'd have to get someone to create the
> images for us. We could probably ask the Tango guys to do this at some
> point if we decided to go this way.
>
>         * Preferences could probably do with a bit of attention. We
> should look at key names, contents and location and clean up where
> things are stored in GConf. Additionally, we should take stock of which
> preferences we really need and see if anything is missing right now. I
> plan on getting header related things working shortly unless someone
> else is working on this right now. One thing I'd like to address right
> now is the necessity of specifying the number of plurals. I think we
> should obtain this programmatically from the Plural-Forms string.
> Additionally, I'd like to see the Plural-Forms string parsed out so that
> we can give the user a hint as to which plural form he's currently
> translating for. (Irish has a large number of plural forms and I can't
> always remember which corresponds to what. poedit does a nice thing
> here.) gettext provides no external API for this, it seems, and their
> internal stuff appears to handle things with bison. What do others think
About plural forms:
	I didn't finish it yet because i need to get finish the header
implementation first. Pablo is working in the header, so when he finish
i'll try to finish the plural forms.
	I was thinking to get the Plural-forms field from header and
if it doesn't exist use 2 plural forms as default, or maybe is better
only 1. What do you think?

>        * The Page Up and Page Down key bindings for next and previous
> messages interferes with normal behavior of those keys on the message
> table. I accidentally made a commit that killed those bindings (I
> removed them locally) so I think this is a good time to bring this up.
> Web browsers and various other applications make use of Alt+Left and
> Alt+Right to navigate between pages. This seems most intuitive to me but
> I'd like to see what others think about this.

	About key bindings:
	I put Page Up and Page Down key bindings because they are the
bindings that Kbabel is using. If anybody want's to change it i don't
have reason to don't change them.

>     The other thing I'd like to see discussed is plans for release. As
> Nacho brought up previously, it seems like a good time to merge
> GOBJECT_WORK into trunk. Are there any plans to do anything more than
> maintenance and bugfix releases from trunk? If not, work on current
> stable could be done out of a branch and work on the next major version
> could be done in trunk. Beyond that, what is still missing from
> GOBJECT_WORK before an alpha can be released? We should take stock of
> what features are necessary and what needs to be done. We should comment
> out all unnecessary, unimplemented features in the UI and try to bring
> together something we can release for people to use. My personal list:
>
>        * We need to track when a file has been modified and take
> appropriate action.
>        * PO headers should be properly written on save. This includes
> the PO revision date, as this isn't currently set when we save.
>        * GConf keys need to be cleaned up and an up-to-date schema written.
	There are one script in data directory to remove the gconf schema.
>        * We should try to get our hands on a new icon. The current one
> doesn't scale well and doesn't seem to indicate "translation tool" to
> me. I see that someone made a Tango-styled one some time ago but it has
> the same metaphor as the current one and I'm not sure I like the
> all-purple color scheme. We could probably ask the Tango guys for a new
> icon.

More bugs:
	* statusbar should show the status of the messages
	* we have to check if the file is already opened
	* implement the bookmarks system

	To see more bugs bugzilla:
	I reported yesterday a bug to show the messages in the source code:
	This is really easy to implement using gedit to show it.

Regards.