Re: Meson and Autotools, or only Meson?

On Thu, 2020-03-26 at 09:42 +0100, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:
Complete documentation of Meson is at https://mesonbuild.com/.

The README files of libsigc++, glibmm and pangomm contain very short
descriptions of how to build with Meson and with Autotools. Available
options are in the meson_options.txt file. Or, in the build
directory, run "meson configure". warnings=fatal is the default. I
have tried to make the "warnings" option equal to the Autotools
equivalent, except that "fatal" is the default.

I wonder if that's wise. It will lead to unnecessary build breakage,
for instance for packagers, when they upgrade compilers or
dependencies. If this remains the default, we might need to give people
obvious instructions about how to build more forgivingly.

 If you want to see exactly which warnings are enabled, look at the
meson.build file in the package's top directory.

Gtkmm itself can't be built with Meson yet. That's several months
ahead, I think.

You might consider, if you like, not removing autotools from the other
builds until gtkmm uses Meson, if you remove autotools. That would be a
simpler story.