Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Meson and Autotools, or only Meson?

On Wed, 2020-03-25 at 18:49 +0100, Kjell Ahlstedt via gtkmm-list wrote:
These *mm packages can now be built either with Meson or with
Autotools:

mm-common
libsigc++-2.0, libsigc++-3.0
glibmm-2.4, glibmm-2.66
pangomm-1.4, pangomm-2.44
(gtkmm-documentation-3,) gtkmm-documentation-4
I've put gtkmm-documentation-3 in parentheses because there is no
released tarball with Meson support, it's only in the git repo.

Some underlying C packages, such as glib and gtk4, have dropped
Autotools support. Shall we do the same, where possible?

I think at least one released tarball must contain both Meson support
and Autotools support before Autotools support can be dropped, or
else https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-build-meta/ will have
problems. Correct me, if I'm wrong here.

At the moment all of the listed packages use Meson when they are
built with jhbuild, but only mm-common does so when it's built with
gnome-build-meta.

Regards
Kjell

I don't have enough experience with Meson to give a real opinion. So do
please do what you think makes things easier for people working on the
code. Thanks for pursuing this.

Where would I go to find basic instructions for using Meson with gtkmm
and co. For instance, how would I build with or without our strict
warnings as errors?