Re: Meson and Autotools, or only Meson?

On 2020-03-26 09:06, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Wed, 2020-03-25 at 18:49 +0100, Kjell Ahlstedt via gtkmm-list wrote:
These *mm packages can now be built either with Meson or with
Autotools:

mm-common
libsigc++-2.0, libsigc++-3.0
glibmm-2.4, glibmm-2.66
pangomm-1.4, pangomm-2.44
(gtkmm-documentation-3,) gtkmm-documentation-4
I've put gtkmm-documentation-3 in parentheses because there is no
released tarball with Meson support, it's only in the git repo.

Some underlying C packages, such as glib and gtk4, have dropped
Autotools support. Shall we do the same, where possible?

I think at least one released tarball must contain both Meson support
and Autotools support before Autotools support can be dropped, or
else https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-build-meta/ will have
problems. Correct me, if I'm wrong here.

At the moment all of the listed packages use Meson when they are
built with jhbuild, but only mm-common does so when it's built with
gnome-build-meta.

Regards
Kjell
I don't have enough experience with Meson to give a real opinion. So do
please do what you think makes things easier for people working on the
code. Thanks for pursuing this.

Where would I go to find basic instructions for using Meson with gtkmm
and co. For instance, how would I build with or without our strict
warnings as errors?

Complete documentation of Meson is at https://mesonbuild.com/.

The README files of libsigc++, glibmm and pangomm contain very short descriptions of how to build with Meson and with Autotools. Available options are in the meson_options.txt file. Or, in the build directory, run "meson configure". warnings=fatal is the default. I have tried to make the "warnings" option equal to the Autotools equivalent, except that "fatal" is the default. If you want to see exactly which warnings are enabled, look at the meson.build file in the package's top directory.

Gtkmm itself can't be built with Meson yet. That's several months ahead, I think.