Re: dynamic menus

On Dienstag, 27. Februar 2018 15:57:05 CET Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:
One way to get references to the menu items is to build the menu with
C++ code instead of an XML file, as is done in
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtkmm-documentation/tree/examples/book/applicat
ion/app_and_win_menus/exampleapplication.cc Then you can keep a
Glib::RefPtr<Gio::MenuItem> for each menu item that you want to modify. But
I can understand if you dislike this idea.

Well, what does make more sense; forcing all application developers to rewrite
entire applications (again) just to address this particular, strange issue, or
to handle this on Gtk level by accepting the trivial patch already provided. I
mean look at gtkbuilder-menus.c, you can query a submenu by id, and even a
menu "section". So where is the point in drawing a line exactly here, that is
allowing to query all those and more by id, but to prohibit querying a menu
item by id? I mean a menu item is the most important thing an application
developer would want to query. So far Gtk maintainers did not provide a
rational reason for this.

CU
Christian