Re: Using C++11

On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 09:18 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Tue, 2015-06-30 at 17:30 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
But can we synchronize an ABI break in gtkmm and friends with the
ABI
break that distros introduce when they change the default value of
_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11 from 0 to 1? That ABI break will probably occur
at
different times in different distros, perhaps with different
versions
of gtk+/gtkmm.

It looks like it's going to happen at almost the same time for almost
all distros. So it looks like now is the time.

Overall, I think now is the time to break ABI. We won't have another
chance until GTK+ 4, which might never happen. I think we should combine
this with using and requiring C++11, to get that out of the way too. I
suspect that using C++11 would cause ABI breaks too, but plenty of
better-informed people doubt that, so I'm just being pessimistic.

Does anyone object to the ABI break?

Then again, if Ubuntu breaks ABI now (or if they do parallel installs),
but doesn't use gtkmm 3.18 until the next Ubuntu version, the second ABI
break will be our fault.