Re: Using C++11

On Tue, 2015-06-30 at 17:30 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
But can we synchronize an ABI break in gtkmm and friends with the
ABI
break that distros introduce when they change the default value of
_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11 from 0 to 1? That ABI break will probably occur
at
different times in different distros, perhaps with different
versions
of gtk+/gtkmm.

It looks like it's going to happen at almost the same time for almost
all distros. So it looks like now is the time.

Overall, I think now is the time to break ABI. We won't have another
chance until GTK+ 4, which might never happen. I think we should combine
this with using and requiring C++11, to get that out of the way too. I
suspect that using C++11 would cause ABI breaks too, but plenty of
better-informed people doubt that, so I'm just being pessimistic.

Does anyone object to the ABI break?