Re: App menu name

You're right. If I add a .desktop file for the application, and run the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment, the name of the app menu is read from the Name entry in the .desktop file. But the Gnome Flashback desktop environment lets gtk+ display both the app menu and the window's menubar attached to the window. And gtk+ still gets the app menu name with g_get_application_name(), if Glib::set_application_name() has been called. If not, Gnome Flashback also gets the app menu name from the .desktop file.

To further complicate the issue, Unity and Gnome Flashback/gtk+/glib seems to use slightly different algorithms for finding the right .desktop file, when the program has been started from the command line. I haven't investigated in detail, and I don't want to do it. Basically it seems Gnome Flashback only considers .desktop files with the same name as the executable file, while Unity checks the contents of the .desktop files (the Exec and/or the TryExec entries, I think).

If you think the issue with the app menu name needs further investigation or documentation, please file a bug in Bugzilla, preferably with suggestions what to do.

Kjell