Re: Memory leaks

I have dug into this a bit, and found a likely culprit:

The hash table is being created at droute.c:  107

    new_path->properties = g_hash_table_new_full ((GHashFunc)str_pair_hash,

Sure enough, the value deallocator is set to NULL. I am sure there is a good reason why it is not currently set to g_free, so I don't think that would be a fix. (although, in this particular memory leak situation, the "pair" is being allocated with g_new, so using g_free would work).

Perhaps, the values could be wrapped in Glib::RefPtr or std::shared_ptr, or even the simpler std::unique_ptr.

I have CC'd the at-spi group, to get their feedback.

On 10/02/2013 10:47 PM, Andrew Potter wrote:
You are using gtkmm correctly.

This isn't a gtkmm bug but is in at-spi. I fixed a similar bug for
them before (#688363). I'd suggest filing a bug report with a patch on
product at-spi if you can.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Norman Goldstein <normvcr telus net> wrote:
I have searched through the past year, and there are several posts about
memory leaks in gtkmm/gtk+. However, I am not clear as to what the
recommendation is.  I am using gtkmm30 on fedora 18 x86 32-bit.
I built and ran a standard piece of sample code:

#include <gtkmm.h>
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
   Glib::RefPtr<Gtk::Application> app =
     Gtk::Application::create(argc, argv,

   Gtk::Window window;
   window.set_default_size(200, 200);

   return app->run(window);
}// main

***** Is there a clean-up routine I should also be invoking? ********

Valgrind gave the following summary:

==24123== LEAK SUMMARY:
==24123==    definitely lost: 280 bytes in 28 blocks
==24123==    indirectly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==24123==      possibly lost: 747,922 bytes in 6,535 blocks
==24123==    still reachable: 413,852 bytes in 7,213 blocks
==24123==         suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==24123== Reachable blocks (those to which a pointer was found) are not
==24123== To see them, rerun with: --leak-check=full --show-reachable=yes
==24123== For counts of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -v
==24123== ERROR SUMMARY: 1085 errors from 1085 contexts (suppressed: 0 from

Here is the first "definitely lost" report:

==24123== 8 bytes in 1 blocks are definitely lost in loss record 1,936 of
==24123==    at 0x4008FAF: malloc
==24123==    by 0x44FF50DB: standard_malloc
==24123==    by 0x44FF5481: g_malloc
==24123==    by 0x476A8C06: droute_path_add_interface
(/usr/src/debug/at-spi2-atk-2.6.2/droute/droute.c:234) (<=================)
==24123==    by 0x476B0845: spi_initialize_selection
==24123==    by 0x476A333D: atk_bridge_adaptor_init
==24123==    by 0x41D4C3C2: _gtk_accessibility_init
==24123==    by 0x41BAA546: post_parse_hook
==24123==    by 0x44FFB429: g_option_context_parse
==24123==    by 0x41BAAAE7: gtk_parse_args
==24123==    by 0x41BAAB73: gtk_init_check
==24123==    by 0x41BAABB3: gtk_init

I installed the debuginfo packages to get the source file information.
The leak is occurring at droute.c (indicated by the arrow, above):

         pair = g_new (PropertyPair, 1); //<===== Line 234
         pair->get = properties->get;
         pair->set = properties->set;
         g_hash_table_insert (path->properties, str_pair_new (itf, prop),
pair); //<======

The first arrow is where "pair" is allocated.  It gets stored into a hash
table at the 2nd arrow.
Either there is a duplicate insertion that is not being managed (deleting
the original insertion), or
the table is not being destroyed, or it is being destroyed but not managing
its data.

Most likely, I don't know the clean way of shutting down a gtkmm/gtk+

gtkmm-list mailing list
gtkmm-list gnome org

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]