Re: Connecting to Configure signal event

2013-11-26 22:37, a skrev:
On 11/26/2013 08:33 AM, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:

2013-11-26 05:09, a skrev:
Hi,

I'm trying to connect to the configure signal event(signal_configure_event()), in the documentation I read that you have to enable Gdk::STRUCTURE_MASK, and I think that is the problem I am having. I tried do it several different ways, like this:

this->add_events(Gdk::STRUCTURE_MASK);
Gtk::Window::add_events(Gdk::STRUCTURE_MASK);
MainWindow::add_events(Gdk::STRUCTURE_MASK); //I think they are all synonyms, but just in case they weren't

and I tried using set_events() function too. Is this the correct way to enable STRUCTURE_MASK?

Thank you.

Tim O.
Have you read https://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tutorial/stable/sec-xeventsignals.html.en#signal-handler-sequence and added an after = false parameter in your call to signal_configure_event().connect()?

Kjell

Thank you for the link, but I recently just read that using the configure signal could have performance problems, and I read in an old mailing list that signal_expose_event should be used, which is now signal_draw. So instead I was thinking of using signal_size_allocate. Because all I really want is just the window's size. So which one of these would have better for getting the window's size and then increases a Gtk::Entry width. Thank you.

Tim O.
Is this a continuation of your question in https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtkmm-list/2013-November/msg00070.html ?
I made a small test with the example program in https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtkmm-documentation/tree/examples/book/entry/simple?h=master
I changed the vertical box to a horizontal box. The Entry widget expands with the window if it's added to the box with pack_start(m_Entry, Gtk::PACK_EXPAND_WIDGET). If you want the Entry to get all extra space, you should add other widgets to the box with Gtk::PACK_SHRINK.

If you can't get this to work, can you post a small program here on the mailing list? A program that does not behave the way you want, when its window is expanded.

Kjell