Re: 3.x vs 2.x Gtkrc Widget Properties / Syntax

2013-01-24 18:12, kenton wilson gmail com skrev:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:13:18 +0100, Kjell Ahlstedt
<kjell ahlstedt bredband net> wrote:
No, gtkmm 3 is not backwards compatible with gtkmm 2. There are many
incompatibilities. See
http://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tutorial/stable/changes-gtkmm3.html.en
Hi Kjell,

Thanks. Specifically, I found this from the link you gave me...

     6.Gtk::Style and Gtk::Rc were removed, replaced by
        Gtk::StyleContext, and Gtk::StyleProviders, such as
        Gtk::CssProvider

>From this it is evident that support for 2.x "style" APIs have been
removed. But just to be clear... Will existing gtk2rc files using the
old 2.x syntax have to be modified to use the new CSS type syntax in
order to work under 3.x.? Sorry if I'm being repetitive. I need to be
sure I understand this so I can make a roadmap for future work on our
company's project.

Kenton

Yes, you must convert your existing RC files to CSS files.

There is much information about this on the gtk+3 site,
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-migrating-GtkStyleContext.html
and its subsections.

If you have specific questions about CSS files, don't expect a reply from me. I don't know very much about them. Of course you're welcome to ask on gtkmm-list, and hope someone else will reply, but I suspect most of the expertise in this area is among the gtk+ developers. gtk-app-devel-list is probably better for such questions.

Kjell