Re: more size questions

Chris Vine said the following at 09/10/2011 03:43 AM :

> So the documentation is now wrong in saying "The GtkFixed widget is a
> container which can place child widgets at fixed positions and with
> fixed sizes".  That is how it used to be in GTK+2, mostly (see below
> about "mostly"). What it should say in GTK+3 is that "The GtkFixed
> widget is a container which can place child widgets at fixed positions".

Well that certainly explains why I couldn't get the behaviour defined in
the documentation. You can imagine how frustrated I was.

That was a tremendously helpful post. Thank you very much.

> So unless anyone on the list can think of an easy way of stopping
> Gtk::Fixed resizing, I suppose you have three options: use GTK+2, use
> another toolkit such as Qt or subclass Gtk::DrawingArea.

I think that the last is probably the only realistic way forward. I have
experienced too many "We can't fix this because it's a limitation of Qt"
embrace Qt, and to use an old version of Gtk just doesn't seem like the
right thing to do.

I had been pondering the possibility of using the ellipsize() solution that
you mentioned in a subsequent e-mail, but that turns out to be not
particularly useful for reasons that would bore the readership here (and
threaten the prospect of the appearance of the proverbial rat-hole or can
of worms).

However, now that I know that what I was trying to do isn't really the way
that Fixed behaves, I can implement a temporary workaround just for testing
and alpha-code purposes. At least that way I can feel like I'm making some
progress, since I won't have to spend the next N hours/days figuring out
the intricacies and possible documentation omissions and/or errors
associated with a DrawingArea. I can wait to do that later, when I have all
the keyboard handling stuff I need implemented.

Thanks again.

  Doc

PS Is there a way to file bug reports against the gtkmm documentation? I
would hate for someone else to spend as much time as I did harbouring the
mistaken belief that the Fixed documentation was correct.

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR