Re: Glib::IOChannel or Gio::SocketConnection/IOStream - which one to use for IPC?

Partial answer to self:

Looking at the header files <glibmm/iochannel.h> and <giomm/socketconnection.h>, it appears that Gio::SocketConnection pulls in a bunch of giomm-dependencies (socket.h, enums.h, iostream.h and thus inputstream.h, outputstream.h, asyncresult.h, cancellable.h), while Glib::IOChannel only relies on basic Glib stuff (error.h, main.h, refptr.h, ustring.h). I have not done any test compilations, but I reckon that IOChannel is more lightweight than SocketConnection if one is not using all the other Gio stuff anyway.

I am going for IOChannel for now.