Glib::IOChannel or Gio::SocketConnection/IOStream - which one to use for IPC?

Hello,

I want my gtkmm applications to communicate via Unix sockets. After some browsing through the reference documentation, it seems to me that Glib::IOChannel and Gio::SocketConnection (which is a Gio::IOStream) are the most convenient tools for this task. Am I right? Or did I miss something?

What I am still confused about is the differences of the two, and if one of them is "recommended". Could someone provide a short comparison ore point me somewhere where I can find one?

One major difference I see: IOChannel can also manage files and pipes (only local stuff, that is), while SocketConnection can not do that (another child class of IOStream does manage files, however), but can do network communication via websockets. If I was planning to do network-IPC in the future, I should probably choose SocketConnection.

Carlos