Re: Support for flexible labels under place constraints

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 14:01 -0400, José Alburquerque wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 08:30 +0200, Markus Elfring wrote:
> > > No, though I don't see why it would not be possible.
> >
> > I would like to describe my use case from another perspective.
> >
> > Now I am looking for a reusable widget which deals with requirements like the
> > following.
> > - Ideogram
> >   It can be implemented as an icon (raster image/vector graphic) or as an
> > Unicode character (with eventually a special font).
> >
> > - Text with varying length (abbreviation, short or full label)
> >
> > - The display should adapt to the available visual space like it is provided by
> > a row/column header.
> >   The more space will be reduced (to an useful minimum height/width) the widget
> > should only attempt to display the label part which still fits. The user can
> > choose if there is a personal preference for the ideogram in combination with
> > the textual description.
> >
> > - Both data components should belong to a common translation unit.

I thought I should have mentioned that in my original reply I did not
address the above because I really don't understand what you're asking
there.  I gave you ideas as to how to get what you're asking about done,
but I don't have the time to delve into your questions though I'm sure
they would be interesting if there was time.

--
José