Support of flexible label for narrow column header

Member functions like "Gtk::TreeView::append_column" provide the feature to add
a column to a specific view.

They get a "Glib::ustring" as a parameter. I find that the width of
corresponding labels will become too big for some displayed values like small
numbers or from a boolean data type. Now I am looking for ways to adjust the
column header depending on width constraints.

Is a switch possible for the display of items like the following in the header?
- raster image
- vector graphic
- text with varying length (abbreviation, short or full label)