Re: gstreamermm on windows

On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 01:30 -0500, Mikhail Titov wrote:
> On 08/20/2011 11:38 PM, José Alburquerque wrote:
> > Hi Mikhail, thanks for trying:
> >
> > On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 17:49 -0500, Mikhail Titov wrote:
> >> static GLIBMM_API const ClockTime CLOCK_TIME_NONE = GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE;
> >>
> >> Isn't it a generally bad idea to have variables in header file even
> >> declared as static? And what was the purpose of GLIBMM_API anyway? It
> >> compiled fine after I removed GLIBMM_API from those lines.
> > These declarations occurred early on when I began developing.  I must
> > have overlooked this part of the code which might be better written.
> >
> > As far as the GLIBMM_API, that's a macro that comes from glibmm's
> > glibmmconfig.h file.  I can't remember why I put it there to begin with,
> > but I think I was considering a possible future build on Windows.

> I've built glibmm just fine, and I had something defined under this
> macro. It was possible to compile either by removing this or by
> undeffing and defining empty GLIBMM_API . I just can't imagine what
> could be there from VC++ point of view. If it is declared as static it
> resides in compiled unit and is of single copy when linked. AFAIK
> another alternative is to declare it extern and then export symbol from
> shared library.

Actually, these variables are designed to be constants that can be used
like their equivalent GStreamer constants.  I did something similar to
what is done in glibmm's ustring.h with the npos constant.  I'm thinking
that these should stay the way they are.  In general, I think we prefer
to use variables instead of '#defines' for better type checking.  I
could be wrong.  I'll look into this a little more later though.

> > I would suggest you use 0.10.9.1 instead.  It has a few bug fixes
> > necessary to ensure functionality of the examples and the library in
> > general.

> I think I used second to the latest.

If it's the release right before the latest one then, yes that should be
0.10.9.1.

> > There are the directdrawsink (in gst-plugins-bad) and the
> > directsoundsink (in gst-plugins-good) plugins for rendering video and
> > audio in Windows.  I'm not sure that there are others.

> Ah! I didn't even look into 'bad' plugins :-)

> > I think Fedora has some also:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW

> Thanks! Kalev Lember helped me on IRC to get started with Fedora repo.

> > Keep in mind that I'll be trying to make an installer much like gtkmm's
> > Windows installer and using the version of the libraries that that
> > installer provides so that the Windows version of gstreamermm is
> > compatible with the existing version of gtkmm available for Windows.

> Do you plan to make installer for MS VC++ as well? or mingw only?

Both, hopefully.

--
José