Re: gstreamermm on windows

Hi Mikhail, thanks for trying:

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 17:49 -0500, Mikhail Titov wrote:
> I gave a try to build gstreamermm using MS VC++ 2008 Express after I've
> built GTKMM 3.1.8 and XML++ 2.34.1 libraries
> (https://github.com/mlt/gtkmm in case someone feels like forking).
> I was getting errors like the following:
>
> C:\workspace\gtkmm\gstreamermm-0.10.10\gstreamer\gstreamermm/clock.h(55)
> : error C2201: 'CLOCK_TIME_NONE' : must have external linkage in order
> to be exported/imported
>
> Line 55 of clock.h looks like
>
> static GLIBMM_API const ClockTime CLOCK_TIME_NONE = GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE;
>
> Isn't it a generally bad idea to have variables in header file even
> declared as static? And what was the purpose of GLIBMM_API anyway? It
> compiled fine after I removed GLIBMM_API from those lines.

These declarations occurred early on when I began developing.  I must
have overlooked this part of the code which might be better written.

As far as the GLIBMM_API, that's a macro that comes from glibmm's
glibmmconfig.h file.  I can't remember why I put it there to begin with,
but I think I was considering a possible future build on Windows.

Normally, gstreamermm is built using autotools and I think it ensures
that that file is included properly.  Since you're not using autotools
to build, that's probably why there would be a problem.

> Now I'm having issue with caps.cc . It uses GstCapsIntersectMode but I
> don't see this definition anywhere. Is gstreamer-0.10 from openSUSE
> Build Service broken? How gstreamermm is compiled there then?
> Surpsisingly enough gst.h doesn't contain anything with 'mode' in it.
> Manual says it has been added in 0.10.33  whereas OBS has 0.10.32
> however gstreamermm is labeled 0.10.10 . Why is there such inconsistency
> with version numbers?

Sorry for the inconsistency in the version numbers.  gstreamermm has its
own version numbers separate from the GStreamer version numbers.  The
latest gstreamermm (0.10.10) requires GStreamer 0.10.35.  Autotools
would stop the build and report version requirements if they are not
met, but once more, autotools would not be used in this situation.

> Okay, I've rolled back to gstreamermm-0.10.9 and
> compiled everything fine.

I would suggest you use 0.10.9.1 instead.  It has a few bug fixes
necessary to ensure functionality of the examples and the library in
general.

> At the very end I realized that ogg example uses ALSA as a sink. Of
> course I don't have ALSA on win32. What should I use as a sink when
> using mingw cross-compiled binaries of gstreamer from openSUSE build
> service? Most conversations I found with google contain either broken
> links or badly old :-(

There are the directdrawsink (in gst-plugins-bad) and the
directsoundsink (in gst-plugins-good) plugins for rendering video and
audio in Windows.  I'm not sure that there are others.

> P.S. Is there any other source of cross-compiled win32 binaries like
> those provided by openSUSE Build Service? In particular glib is outdated
> in there and I don't feel like rebuilding entire stack for recent GTKMM
> :( Also I'm hesitating on using OSSBuild for gstreamer.

I think Fedora has some also:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW

Keep in mind that I'll be trying to make an installer much like gtkmm's
Windows installer and using the version of the libraries that that
installer provides so that the Windows version of gstreamermm is
compatible with the existing version of gtkmm available for Windows.