Re: demo assistant

Murray Cumming wrote:

>> Thanks, for the hint. I have gone the same way shown in the example.
>> Unfortunately I have stumbled on one problem I can not solve. I have to
>> exchange data between the assistant and the main window. How would
>> someone do it? Can you give me another hint?
>> I need basically to get the data from the assistant in the main window
>> after apply() is called in the assistant. What would one experienced
>> programmer do (I'm not that advanced)?
>> We have many examples on how to deal with dialogues from within another
>> window, but there is no example on how to get a return value from
>> Assistant.
>
> I think it's just a matter of accessing the child widgets. I would make
> the widgets (or pointers to them) member variables of a derived Window
> or Assistant.
>
> This is obviously something we should show in the assistant example, in
> ExampleWindow::on_assistant_apply(). CCing David King so he can add it
> to his to do list, please.

Thanks for the fast response. Actually I hope you won't get insulted, by I
think you could be more cooperative in your communication.

The first time I asked about assistant, you (or someone else) said write a
patch. In the meanwhile someone has done this already. If it was planned it
would be nice to know prior to spending time on it.

Second I asked for example on getting responses from assistant and you say
CC David King. Why don't you cc him along replying to my posting. I don't
have his e-mail. If you don't want to cc him, why don't you just send me
his e-mail.

This is exactly like firstlevel support in an odd company, where something
is said only to bounce the customer back.
I can not demand on more cooperativeness (as we are doing all this on free
bases), but it would be extremely nice and helpful if you'd do so. (And by
you I mean all)

About the actual problem.
I was also thinking to pass variables as pointers to the assistant, but I
really need to call a function when apply is called, so I was thinking of
kind of callback or something. The issue is that I would have to cross link
the two windows.
The second approach would be to register the objects in my main window,
where also the assistant object is located and to use references, but it
would make the main window too complex.

More details
I actually need to update a treeview after apply is clicked. Thus in the
assistant I get all properties for an object(s) that will appear in a
treeview. When apply is clicked the data from the assistant is checked and
if correct it should go (be merged) into the treeview.

Of course there are many ways to do something, but I can not think of some
elegant one. I'm sure there is a solution in gtkmm but I don't know the API
that well to get it

thanks in advance