Re: GTK+ runtime libraries (for Windows) to stay in lib directory, not in bin

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 10:33 -0300, Paulo Flabiano Smorigo wrote:
> Hi Armin,
>
> Your answer makes perfect sense but as a linux user I feel
> uncomfortable to see libraries in the bin directory. There is not
> workaround to put the libraries in the lib dir except by adding them
> in the path?

Maybe you can add a wrapper program or script which adds your lib
directory to PATH and then executes your real application. But I don't
think it's worth the effort. All applications for Microsoft Windows that
ship GTK+ do it the put-DLLs-in-bin/ way.

Another way to look at it might be: The files in lib/ is what you link
against. On Linux, you normally directly link against the shared object
(.so). On Windows however, you don't link with the DLL, but with an
import library which is indeed in lib/. From this perspective, it makes
perfect sense that DLLs do not belong into lib/.

Armin