Re: Plugin system gtkmm.

2008/10/27 Marko Anastasov <marko anastasov gmail com>:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Germán Diago <germandiago gmail com> wrote:
>> Hello. I'm implementing a system to be able to deploy shared libraries
>> as plugins in an application.
>> My framework is gtkmm-centric, so I thought it could be a good
>> candidate (after adaptation) for gtkmm-utils.
>> The library right now has an Application, GUIManager and a Plugin
>> class. My main goal is to be able
>> to attach GUI elements plus behavour through shared libraries.
>> If someone requests me the (incomplete) code I have, I can send it. I
>> would like to have something like
>> Mono.Addins in functionality, although I don't mind if the API is
>> similar or not.
>
> Hi Germán,
>
> I'm the maintainer of gtkmm-utils. An easy to use plug-in system
> sounds good, but without some code and example it's hard to say
> anything specific. Dodji Seketeli has developed something like that
> based on GModules from Glib for Nemiver [1] [2]. I never really
> took time to understand and add that to gtkmm-utils.
>
> If you want, what you could do is clone the gtkmm-utils git repository [3],
> add your code with an example and show us how it works.
>
>    Marko
>
> [1] http://mail.gna.org/public/nemiver-list/2006-09/msg00008.html
> [2] http://svn.gnome.org/svn/nemiver/trunk/src/common/nmv-dynamic-module.h
> [3] git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/gtkmm-utils.git

I have some basic examples working right now. Now you can add GUI
actions. I think
the problem with the library is that it depends on boost::shared_ptr.
Maybe this dependency should be removed.
Anyway, do you allow to use std::tr1::shared_ptr as a dependency? I
would like to know this.
I need to use them because I rely on the use of them when I add
factory functions to register widgets and plugins.
I don't have much time now. But I'll put examples during this week or
the next one. The code is just a proof of
concept so that everyone can tell me what's wrong and what's good
about it. If you like the idea, then I'll start porting
code so that it can be used by more people. This way it gets tested a lot.