Re: gtkmm and gtk-osx

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 16:33 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > but consider that on gtk/osx, DnD within certain widgets (e.g. the
> > treeview) is still totally broken.
>
> Is that covered by the two drag bugs in the list above?

501588 is the closest. its a really deep change in how DnD works that
totally screws up the treeview (and perhaps other things). the current
treeview maintainer has expressed "strong reservations" about fixing it,
on the grounds that he's working on whole new version :(

the TV has other bugs related to event handling that are worse on OS X,
but they are very very hard to fix without substantial reworking of the
treeview code. it does select operations on the wrong event (press, not
release or motion, for example).

> >  or that basic changes to the
> > idle-update mechanism are still under discussion.
>
> I don't see a bug in the list for that.

its not a bug. its about optimization. but the effects can be dramatic
(good or bad).

> >  or that the mechanism
> > to make sure that shortcuts activate "top menu" items is still under
> > development.
>
> Is that 530351 in the list?

its not in the list. again, its not a bug. GTK has no concept of a "top
menu" and so its not possible to represent this functionality with the
GTK API (at present). the code involved isn't even part of GTK at
present (its available from the gtk-osx site). the problem is trying to
find a way to (a) automatically call the right code during key event
handling and (b) explain to developers who need more control over this
just how they should call the right code.

i'm glad that my other changes to gtk/osx are now in svn. the "ardour
gtk-osx patch" has become quite small and the biggest single item
(adding delta support for mousewheel events) may still go in eventually.

--p