Re: ANNOUNCE: cluttermm 0.5.1. hello world here

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 10:00 +0300, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:
> I, for one, been oscillating between using GTKmm and QT4 for my next pet
> project.
>
> After playing with both QT4 and GTKmm for more than a month, I've decided to
> use QT4. Maybe try again using GTK/GTKmm in a year.
>
> Right now, I find the documentation lacking in key areas (for example,
> drag&drop in a tree)

I'll see what I can add in the book. If you file a bug about it then we
are less likely to forget.

>  and I'm tired of waiting for an answer on a mailing
> list, answer that might never come,

I've looked in the archive, and I can only find three questions from
you. Only your recent (on Saturday) email about treeview drag and drop)
has not yet had an answer. It's rather unclear but I'll do my best again
to parse it.

Of course, not every question gets an answer, though most do if you post
a reminder later, and if they are clear and concise.

> and not in the mood of hacking GTK&GTKmm
> sources.
>
> For me, the documentation that comes with GTK/GTKmm is the biggest stopper (to
> me, it is extremely disturbing that the latest GTK book, www.gtkbook.com,
> says nothing about Drag&Drop

Our online book has a chapter about drag and drop. We'd like to hear how
it could be improved:
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/chapter-draganddrop.html

There's a small section about treeview drag and drop too:
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/sec-treeview-draganddrop.html

I will make sure that it links directly to the example:
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/sec-treeview-examples.html#treeview-dnd-example

>  or threading - maybe they are there, but I
> couldn't found them - or that the container chapter doesn't talk about the
> Frame widget - not important, but why there is no mention of it?).

Sorry, we really can't directly help to improve a book that we didn't
write. The author would probably welcome feedback.

Our online book has a small section about Gtk::Frame, though there
really isn't much to say about it because it's such a simple container:
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/chapter-container-widgets.html#sec-single-item-containers

www.openismus.com