Re: ANNOUNCE: cluttermm 0.5.1. hello world here

On Wednesday 07 May 2008 2:16:10 pm Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 10:00 +0300, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:
> >  and I'm tired of waiting for an answer on a mailing
> > list, answer that might never come,
>
> I've looked in the archive, and I can only find three questions from
> you. Only your recent (on Saturday) email about treeview drag and drop)
> has not yet had an answer. It's rather unclear but I'll do my best again
> to parse it.
>
> Of course, not every question gets an answer, though most do if you post
> a reminder later, and if they are clear and concise.

I understand that. I'm also trying again your D&D tree example from the
tutorial, as I might have missed something.

> Sorry, we really can't directly help to improve a book that we didn't
> write. The author would probably welcome feedback.

It was a general remark over the GTK/GTKmm docs. The GTKmm tutorial is quite
good and gets you started. But as everybody knows, it's the final 20% of an
app that takes 80% of the effort :-)

> Our online book has a small section about Gtk::Frame, though there
> really isn't much to say about it because it's such a simple container:
> http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/chapter-container-wi
>dgets.html#sec-single-item-containers

The GTK frame was just an example. The GTK book author was stressing a lot
that you should really learn what he taught about containers, because he is
not going to repeat that, but he totally ignored frames. That pissed me a
little :-)

Cheers,

Johnny