Re: Static builds

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 17:35 +0100, Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Will static builds be supported some time in the future again?
>
> I don't know when this happend, but two or three years ago it was
> possible to build static apps using Gtk+/gtkmm/WxGtk, which is now not
> possible anymore.

GTK+ relies on dynamically loaded modules for Pango and Pixbuf (image)
app unless you remove Pango and Pixbuf support.

> This is realy sad, since I (and many others I think) need to build
> applications usable on many different hosts without installation
> (USB-stick).

The Unix Way for this particular problem is to make your app a tiny
shell script:

	#!/bin/sh

	export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/the/path/to/somewhere/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	exec /the/path/to/somewhere/bin/yourApp

of course, the hard part is that without an installation step,
determining /the/path/to/somewhere can be a bit tricky, but its
certainly doable.