Gtkmm thread example

I am attempting to write a relatively simple gtkmm applicaton that gets and
displays data from a hardware device.  The hardware part is easy because I
have several console example apps for that.  I have learned some basic gtkmm
to allow me to create a simple application.  I think I could even figure
out how to use a timer to periodically poll the hardware for data.

What I really want to do (I think) is have the main gtkmm app and a separate
thread that reads the hardware and signals the main app when there is data.
I have been searching for info and examples.  Perhaps I have found something
quite close to what I need.
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/glibmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/group__Threads.html
shows a link to this dispatcher example.
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/glibmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/thread_2dispatcher_8cc-example.html#a17

This might be just what I need but the example is glibmm and I don't know how
to adapt to a gtkmm.  Is there a relatively simple gtkmm thread dispatcher
example, or can someone here suggest how to modify the glibmm dispatcher
example to be a gtkmm example?

Damon Register