Build-in true transparency icons

Hello!

For simplicity I really like it to have some icons (needed for the
application) build-in into the binary. I do this by creating XPM files,
which I include in the code. The downside is that XPMs only have single
color transparency, and I'd really love to have a true transparency
alternative. What I do at the moment is to create bigger images and
scale them down (e.g. 64x64 if I need 32x32), then the borders are at
least acceptable.

Is there another (better) way to have build in true transparency icons?

Regards,
Simon