Statusbar/Menu tips info

Well, using much time and effort I figured out how to put menu tips in
a Gtk::Statusbar using a combination of gtkmm and libgnomeuimm. The
scant amount of information on a subject that actually gets a lot of
questions is amazing. Why hasn't some one written more on this? The
one example in the libgnomeuimm package is a nice start, and what I
worked off of, but libgnomeuimm hardly has any press, or
documentation. It took me an exhaustive search of the list archives to
find one mention of this library. Then the menu example that displays
the statusbar messages is imperfect as the statusbar widget included
in the example is a plain one, missing the little drag area ridges.
However I was able to resolve this by using Gtk::Statusbar. Now I have
a perfectly working example of this common UI action using libgtk<etc>
C++ classes. My little victory is pretty sweet, even more so since not
one person on this list offered any advice, not even a mention of
libgnomeuimm. One mention of that might have saved me a week's work.

I still have some questions I hope some one can help me with. It looks
like the menu tips are pulled from the stock Gnome menu items. Fine.
But obviously I need to add my own items. An example of adding my own
menu items to the libgnomeuimm menu struct would be very nice. I would
be happy to forward my menu tips with gtk::statusbar example to anyone
who is interested as well.