Re: how can I set up a passive Gtk::CheckButton with just a tooltip?

It's not possible to totally hijack events like you've previously
tried by connecting to signal handlers; they are all run-last and the
widget will get the events either way first.

The best bet would be deriving from GtkCheckButton and blocking all
events by overriding the default handlers; but i think creating a
small widget that paints a Gtk+ checkbox is a saner solution.

Furthermore, or rather generally, though, you should consider that
people are used to have checkboxes as interactive items, so a checkbox
that's not interactive might confuse people; of course that's said
without knowing the exaxt context in which you're using this so it's
possible it doesn't really apply.