RE: Displaying a "hierarchy" of classes in a TreeView

Hello,

I'm not an expert on gtkmm, but I'll try to take a stab at this one.

>From what I understand of TreeView is that the TreeView is the display and the TreeModel is the data that can be displayed by a TreeView.

That being said, TreeView uses a class called CellRenderer[1] to display the view...

So what you're attempting to do is add something that is not a CellRenderer to the TreeView display, which, I believe, cannot be done.

You see, the TreeModel contains specific types of data (i.e. ustrings, integers, booleans, and doubles) and the TreeView has a way of displaying those types of data using CellRenderers.  By default, if you use a column that is a ustring, it will choose a CellRenderText as the CellRenderer, unless you tell it to use a different CellRenderer.

Does that make any sense at all?

-Aaron Geier

[1]http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm2.4/docs/reference/html/classGtk_1_1CellRenderer.html

-----Original Message-----
From: gtkmm-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:gtkmm-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of José Alburquerque
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 4:56 PM
To: gtkmm-list gnome org
Subject: Displaying a "hierarchy" of classes in a TreeView

Hi everyone.  I'm new to gtkmm though I think I understand the basics of
gtkmm from the "Programming with gtkmm" tutorial.  However, I'm really
stumped at implementing a TreeView.  As I understand it it needs a
TreeModel both of which ListStore and TreeStore are.

For the project I'm developing I believe I'd need something like a
TreeStore for the model because the rows in the intended TreeView will
have children.  Here's my question:

I've developed a series of "hierarchical" classes (not in the sense of
inheritance, but in the sense of one being a child of another, etc.) and
the hierarchy can be somewhat intricate and moderately deep.

What I'm trying to do is display the hierarchy in a TreeView (by class
name or a description of the class), but it's difficult for me to wrap
my mind around what I need to do.  I notice that the TreeStore::create()
method requires TreeModel::ColumnRecord, but what's confusing me is that
my classes are not string classes so I don't know how I could represent
them using the ColumnRecord.

Might any of you illuminate me a little as to how I might go about
displaying my hierarchy of classes in a TreeView?  I'd really appreciate
it.  Thanks.

-Jose