Re: Tutorial filenames / urls

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 15:34 -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> Since we'd be breaking documentation links anyway, what do you think
> about simplifying the url structure a bit as well?  I've wished for a
> long time that the documentation url was something I could easily
> remember, but it's really long and has repeating names, etc.  For
> example, the proposed link I gave earlier:
>
> http://gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/chapter-memory.html
>
> that url has two 'docs' directories in it.  it has a completely
> unnecessary 'html' folder, and the gtkmm-2.4 folder seems unnecessary as
> well.  I understand why the structure is like this (it mirrors the
> source directories in the gtkmm tree), but it still seems like it could
> be presented better when published to the web.
>
> It would be really nice if this were just
> http://gtkmm.org/tutorial/chapter-memory.html
>
> or at the very most:
> http://gtkmm.org/docs/tutorial/chapter-memory.html

The current structure is so that the relative links work both online and
when installed from tarballs. If you can figure something out then I'll
consider it, but I don't think it's worth a lot of trouble.

What's more important is finding a way to make relative links work when
the documentation is uploaded to library.gnome.org while still working
when installed. An XML entity might provide some way to do this.

www.openismus.com