Re: Tutorial filenames / urls

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 16:35 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 10:09 -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
> [snip]
> > So the downside is that all existing links will break.  The upside is
> > that this will never happen again in the future.  I think that's a
> > worthwhile tradeoff, but I thought I would ask for input.  Any
> > objections?
>
> That's fine with me, and I'd be very happy to have normal file names and
> anchor names.
>
> Have you found a way to do this without manually specifying all the IDs?

Since we'd be breaking documentation links anyway, what do you think
about simplifying the url structure a bit as well?  I've wished for a
long time that the documentation url was something I could easily
remember, but it's really long and has repeating names, etc.  For
example, the proposed link I gave earlier:

http://gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/chapter-memory.html

that url has two 'docs' directories in it.  it has a completely
unnecessary 'html' folder, and the gtkmm-2.4 folder seems unnecessary as
well.  I understand why the structure is like this (it mirrors the
source directories in the gtkmm tree), but it still seems like it could
be presented better when published to the web.

It would be really nice if this were just
http://gtkmm.org/tutorial/chapter-memory.html

or at the very most:
http://gtkmm.org/docs/tutorial/chapter-memory.html

comments?