Re: One instance with a twist

BMP uses the same approach, it has a 'remote' binary which starts the main binary using DBus activation (it's like with firefox and firefox-bin, basically, and the mechanism Firefox uses is also what you want i guess, just in our case over DBus).

Alex Johnson (http://alex.weej.com) and me are currently looking into reviving a spec that is meant to become common among GNOME apps which does exactly what BMP does now, and what you want to do.

Some relevant links into the BMP code:

This is the remote binary's code:
http://websvn.beep-media-player.org/filedetails.php?repname=bmpx&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fremote%2Fbeep-media-player-2.cc

And this is the counterpart in the main binary (we have several objects, but this is the relevant one):
http://websvn.beep-media-player.org/filedetails.php?repname=bmpx&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc%2Fcore.cc

You can also from our source tree find some rather hackish but working ways of rather well integrating C DBus into C++/gtkmm apps (It needs a bit of hackery but the end result is in a way rather usable), check for example our Makefile.am (at the very bottom, you'll see the stuff we need to do to the binding glue code to make it really usable in a C++ app):

http://websvn.beep-media-player.org/filedetails.php?repname=bmpx&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc%2FMakefile.am