Actions and UIManager vs. signals

Hi all,

I am starting to dive into gtkmm and try to develop a prototype app.
I built my main window with glade and read it with libglademm.

If I do so, I can just define signals for the menu items and connect them to my handler functions.
What is the advantage of not doing so and using actions and uimanage?
That I can enable and disable them together via one switch?

As far as I understand it, it is not possible to design these actions with Glade, right?

I didn't find too many examples for doing menus and menubars with libglademm.
If this is the wrong list, sorry for that.

--
Regards,

Rainer