Re: GNOME in Linux

Am Mittwoch, den 14.02.2007, 08:45 -0800 schrieb Jamiil Abduqadir:
> This question is not about programming, but in order to test my
> program in Linux I need to install GNOME, so... I am seeking shelter,
> from all the fertilizer that will be thrown at for posting
> non-programming questions here, in the precept that GNOME is the test
> bench of my GTKmm program, thus the following question.

You should really try to get this kind of questions answered elsewhere.
Doing this once or twice might be alright, but usually it doesn't stop
at that since you'll have more questions.

> I have just  recently installed Linux Debian, next I 'apt-get install
> gnome', now I would like to start GNOME GUI Shell, but don't know how.
> Could you please help me?

As root:
/etc/init.d/gdm start

I'm a bit surprised this doesn't happen automatically for you, at least
on the next reboot.  Or maybe it does and your real problem is that you
need to select the right session from the menu in the login manager.

> Again sorry for the non-programming question.

It's okay -- once.

--Daniel