Re: giomm in svn

On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 23:45 +0100, Marko Anastasov wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2007 7:51 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

> > > ... or the day after tomorrow. I haven't been home much hence the delay.
> > >
> > > An instant before adding the files to the repo and committing I realized
> > > that instead of adding 36 new files to glib/src, it would probably be better
> > > to set up a separate gio/ directory sub-tree and giomm module from the start.
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > It's hard to decide between
> > - saving some people from having to link to gio if they don't use it
> > and
> > - increasing load times by adding a library
> >
> > But we already wish that ustring was in its own library so I think this
> > is probably the best idea.
>
> I'm sorry, but I need some help here and I don't think days should just pass
> if I don't know what to try next...
>
> So I've been trying to create the gio/ module. The problem I cannot solve atm
> is caused by the Makefile.am in the private/ directory. Which is quite strange
> as it is practically the same in all *mm projects. I tried creating
> this sub-tree
> by hand, copying it from gnomemm/giomm, and finally just copying the gdk
> subtree and replacing the strings. The error is always:
>
> automake: cannot open <
> gio/giomm/private/../src/Makefile_list_of_hg.am_fragment: No such file
> or directory
>
> while the file contains a line
>
> include $(srcdir)/../../src/Makefile_list_of_hg.am_fragment
> (note "/../../" vs "/../")
>
> I have also tried hardcoding the path but then there is a message about
> recursive (infinite) inclusion. There is no "debugging" information in those
> error messages, so I don't really know how to fix it.
>
> So if someone could guess the solution or maybe even create a dummy
> module with just asyncresult.hg (the rest need some modifications which
> have been waiting on my hdd) I would be very grateful.

I guess that the build_shared/ stuff in gtkmm is slightly different than
in glibmm to cope with having multiple modules. That probably involves
extra variables in the Makefile*.am files.

If you check in the sources, I can try to take care of the build stuff,
if you like.

> Btw afaik giomm being a separate module implies that the namespace
> shall stay Gio, as it has been so far. I think that it its' version should
> be the same as glibmm's. But perhaps the soversion could be separately
> defined?

We don't currently change the .so version often, so it can probably be
in sync.

I'll have to look at the API before having a real opinion about the
namespace. I'd generally prefer something in Glib::.

Many thanks.

www.openismus.com