Re: gtkmm and boost

Paul Davis wrote:
Like you mention, its always going to be a balancing act.

I think the thing you need to remember when thinking about changing
parts of the backend of Gtkmm is that it *is* a wrapper around Gtk.
There's no getting around that. Replacing things like Glib::RefPtr
with boost::shared_ptr are probably just not going to happen.

There will always be a whole host of issues that would simply not
exist if the original Gtk were written in C++. But had it been, it
probably would've been replaced by somethg else by now.

Paul Davis

Ok, i see. I'm convinced that the Gtk-wrapper nature is after all the essence of gtkmm, which is a fair-enough trade off back in the day when Gtk was invented. So I'll stop pursuing Boost-ized gtkmm. In fact, being a good standard-C++-philosophy-based design, gtkmm has already got the flexibility in interoperability with other standard compatible things in stardard C++ manner, which is good enough. I'd better get used to it. And things may still change when C++0x comes out, and I'm looking forward to it :)