Help Needed - Gtkmm 2.2

Before I ask...here are the specs:

- Solaris 10 running on UltraSparc T1
- GCC 4
- Gtk+ 2.0
- Gtkmm 2.2.12

Question:

I can't get any of gtkmm code to compile, not even the examples provided in
the install.  I get two errors everytime, which are in the ustring.h on line
224 and 230.  Here is the exact error:

ustring.h:224 error: wrong number of template arguments (6, should be 1)
ustring.h:230 error: wrong number of template arguments (6, should be 1)

has anyone ever seen these errors, and if so...how do I fix them?  My C Gtk+
apps compile and run great, as do my non-gui c++ apps.  I have googled for
information on this error and cannot find anything that seems to help.
Thanks to anyone who has any advice.