gtkmm and scratchbox: Gtk::DrawingArea problem

Hi,
I'm trying to build simple drawing app for Nokia 770 IT2006 but here's the
problem:
When compiling and running some example, like this
http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/docs/tutorial/html/ch14s03.html#id2524813
it goes well but just doesn't draw anything on Xephyr emulator, just blank
window. Compiling and running in normal Debian Sarge is fine, I can see
those lines drawn. The problem seems to be related to on_expose_event()
which is not called as I tested by debug printing in it. I can't use cairo
as I have to use glimm 2.8.9.

I can load and display and png image and run hello world gtkmm apps in
sbox, so it seems to be working, but I'm really stuck with the drawing and
I need to draw dots or circles on the image (a map) I'm showing. Any
suggestions? I'm new to gtk+ and gtkmm so if any questions please ask. I'm
also trying maemo.org lists..